Christmas! It’s time for giving! So here at Project GIVE we’re very excited about putting on our very own fundraising event!
But what is Project GIVE?
Well, G.I.V.E stands for Grow, Inspire, Value, and Educate, and we are a not for profit organisation that aims to support disadvantaged young people in Wolverhampton by tackling period poverty, with the intention of helping them stay in school throughout the month. The project is led and inspired by the founder of Inspiring Healthy Choices and Sister in Sexual and Reproductive Health, Kelly Walker-Reed.
Our mission statement:
It is our mission at Project GIVE to eradicate period poverty within the city of Wolverhampton. We firmly believe that there should be no reason for young people to miss education in the 21st century, least of all because they have their period. Our objectives are simple;
* Grow a network of supportive partners and engage with the local community.
* Inspire young people to be more body aware, confident and to understand their menstrual cycles.
* Value; our partners, volunteers, supporters and young people.
* Educate the young people of Wolverhampton about subjects which affect them but rarely get discussed in great detail.
GIVE young people a better chance of success.
To achieve this, we’ve been busy little elves:
* Asking for donations of sanitary products, underwear and hygiene wipes, which will be given to local schools, resulting in over 25 donation points across Wolverhampton!
* We have spread awareness of period poverty via our social media channels, word of mouth and through our various donation points spread across Wolverhampton.
* Contacted local MPs for their support
* Paycare’s Executive Director Kevin Rogers has very generously gifted Project GIVE an office and storage space for free in Wolverhampton City Centre so that we may further our work.
* We’ve even managed to get ourselves into the Express & Star newspaper! – Click the logo below to find out more…
What’s next for Project GIVE?
Funny you should ask! On Saturday 8th December, at 12pm, in the Lighthouse Cinema in Wolverhampton, Project GIVE will be putting on our first Christmas (GIVEmas – see what we did there?) Fayre! And did we mention that entry is completely free?!
This is a wonderful opportunity for us to raise donations of sanitary products, raise money for lesser donated items such as underwear and hygiene wipes, spread our message to as many people and organisations as possible, and, not forgetting, spread a tonne of Christmas cheer!
We have loads of things going on during the day for you and the family to enjoy, this is no boring, uneventful Christmas fayre!
Click on our poster below to be taken to our Facebook event page where you can keep up to date with what is going on…
* Festive stalls! We have 20+ stalls for you to browse and buy some Christmas treats from, ranging from decorations to food to cosmetics.
* Mince pies and of course mulled wine (just for the grown-ups!)
* Plenty of food to fill hungry bellies – including delicious vegan treats too!
* Kids’ activities! In order to keep the little ones entertained, (while Mom and Dad enjoy the mulled wine) we have Christmas decoration making!
* Tombola (would it be a Christmas fayre without one?!)
We also have a VERY special raffle taking place to raise money, and trust us when we say that any Wolverhampton Wanderers fan will not want to miss out on a chance at winning!
Let meeeeeeee-eee entertain you!
* Music for the whole event provided by the brilliant Gorgeous FM!
* Dancing! We have the wonderful Habibi belly dancing group performing at both 2pm and 3pm for us on the day!
* The wonderful and talented Nicola Elliot will be belting out some ballads for us all on the big day – Nicola says
“I’m looking forward to performing at this event as it’s for a wonderful cause. I truly believe that all women should feel powerful no matter what their age or social background. I hope you’ll all join me in singing along to their music.”
We’re also very excited to have the newest Christmas blockbuster “Nativity Rocks!” showing at GIVEmas Fayre. National Charity Promise Dreams will receive all funds from ticket sales for this screening, a charity that aims to make a real difference to children who are seriously or terminally ill, so it’s an honour for us to be able to host them at our event a help in raising funds for their vital and wonderful work
A festive visitor?
We wanted to make our GIVEmas Fayre EXTRA special, so we took to our social media to ask you, our supporters, friends and family, to vote for who you would most like to see on the big day, and, you did not disappoint. Over 100 people voted on all 3 of our social media outlets, and the results are in….
MRS CLAUS!! Girl Power has triumphed, and it has been decided that we will be graced with the presence of the most festive lady out there, so think of your Christmas wishes to pass on to Mrs Claus and they might just come true!
Not only do we have a festive visitor, but an important one too! We’re very grateful to have Wolverhampton South West constituency’s Eleanor Smith MP, coming to talk at the event about how important an issue period poverty is and show her support for our work. Having people like Eleanor working with us is a fantastic way for us to engage with more people about the work that we’re doing and spread the message about period poverty being unnecessary and preventable!
And a massive Project GIVE thank you…
The GIVEmas Fayre is a wonderful opportunity for our project to grow and help people, but none of it would be possible without our wonderful sponsors.
We want to send our biggest thanks to Market Place Foot Clinic in Willenhall, and Paycare in Wolverhampton for enabling us to create this event, you are making a huge difference in not only our lives, but in the lives of young people who suffer through period poverty in Wolverhampton.
Let the jingle, see the bells!
So, now that we’ve caught your interest, save the date in all your diaries, calendars and fancy smart phone apps, and bring all your friends and family down to the Project GIVEmas Fayre, where not only can you have a smashing festive day out, not only can you buy, make and win yourself some very special goodies, but you can be a part of eradicating period poverty in Wolverhampton.
Every single penny donated counts, and will be spent on helping young people through period poverty, so that none of them have to miss school because of their period again.
#projectGIVEwv #wolverhampton #kindness #endperiodpoverty #periodpositivity #positiveperiods #Christmas #gifts